Singaporean loses HDB, foreign wife runs away – thanks readers

On behalf of Billy (not his real name), he would like to thank the numerous valuable suggestions and words of encouragement from readers, on how he can try to resolve his problem.

Sampling of readers’ suggestions

Reader “Clown” – Thank you for your suggestion to check the recent resale transactions. According to the HDB’s web site, the 3-room resale flat transactions in his street over the last two months range from $316,000 to $395,000.

Getting a court order

Reader “just a suggestion” – Thank you for your suggestion to apply for a court order. Billy has been communicating with the Legal Aid Bureau, and its last letter to him about two months ago said “We refer to the letter dated 13 February 2012 from your Member of Parliament which we received on 21 February 2012. You had previously applied for legal aid to commence Court proceedings such that (your wife’s) share of the matrimonial flat is transferred to yourself as the sole owner of the said flat. The Legal Aid Bureau had considered your case and refused aid to you. You were informed in our letter that you have to furnish a copy of the Divorce Court Order granted by the US Courts which would prove that you are no longer married to (her). This order is necessary before any court proceedings in Singapore can be commenced to deal with the matrimonial flat. You were also informed that once you obtain a copy of the said Court Order, you can reapply for legal aid. Please note legal aid was refused for your last application because you did not produce the Divorce Court Order.

Billy has given the Legal Aid Bureau, a copy of a “Notice of Entry of Judgement” which he received from the United States in the mail, indicating that a (marriage) dissolution was entered in the Supreme Court of California, Orange County, U.S.A.

However, apparently the Legal Aid Bureau does not accept this document as the “Divorce Court Order” that they require.

Focus on helping Billy now

Reader “Chan Joon Yee” – Thank you for your remarks. I concur that we should focus on Billy’s predicament and unfortunate circumstances, and give our views and suggestions.

Billy had communicated with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) to seek their help to locate or contact his wife. Is it possible to ask MFA and the Singapore Embassy to help to obtain A copy of the “Divorce Court Order” from the United States, that the Legal Aid Bureau requires?

Does anyone know how to get a copy of this document from the US?

More suggestions

Do keep your suggestions coming, so that we can try to help Billy to not become homeless, on the HDB’s Compulsory Acquisition date of 16 May 2012.

We also hope that the HDB will give him more time to liaise with the Legal Aid Bureau and MFA.

Leong Sze Hian

About the Author

Leong Sze Hian has served as the president of 4 professional bodies, honorary consul of 2 countries, an alumnus of Harvard University, authored 4 books, quoted over 1500 times in the media , has been a radio talkshow host, a newspaper daily columnist, Wharton Fellow, SEACeM Fellow, columnist for theonlinecitizen and Malaysiakini, executive producer of Ilo Ilo (40 international awards), Hotel Mumbai (associate producer), invited to speak more than 200 times in about 40 countries, CIFA advisory board member, founding advisor to the Financial Planning Associations of 2 countries. He has 3 Masters, 2 Bachelors degrees and 13 professional  qualifications.